Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Guests in the Classroom

Recently there has been an assortment of animals that have decided to join my French class. The first one was a cockroach, who must have been on the underside of the table I was working on. It fell on my lap and I flicked it to the floor. My teacher, Aminata, jumped up and yelped a little. But it ran away and we didn't know where it was. We continued the lesson, and then the little bug came scurrying across the floor. She yelped again and took off her shoe and killed it.

The next day, I heard a noise in the corner. I turned around to see a lizard that was at least a foot long standing next to the bookshelf. I told Aminata what it was and again she jumped up and this time ran out of the room and called after Kata, the daytime guard for the center. I, on the other hand, crouched down to get a better look at the thing. Then I went next door to borrow the camera of one of the other students and took a few pictures of the lizard. Aminata was laughing at me and told me to come with her out of the room. She called it an insect and obviously was a bit afraid of it. So I followed her out. Kata grabbed a kid from the street and together they turned the entire classroom upside-down until they had found the lizard again and shoed it out of the building. Once the classroom was put back in order, we finished up class.

And then the next day, there was a huge insect of an unknown variety chilling on the side of a box in the room. Aminata again took her shoe off and ended its life.

Today, Aminata picked up a book in the room that was all about reptiles and amphibians. She started flipping through the pages until she jumped and shuddered… she's so afraid of them.

I'm waiting to see what will be the next creature to visit our class...

No comments: