Thursday, November 8, 2007

Bugs!

I don't think I've said much about the bugs here. They're everywhere. My new favorite "game" is to see how big a bug I can see in the bathroom whenever I'm in there at night or first thing in the morning before the sun comes up. I think over 4 inches has been the biggest, with antennas that made it two inches longer. The past two night when I've gone in there I've let a huge bug walk out the door as I walk in. It has almost felt like it was using the bathroom before me and then it was my turn. I remind you that I do not have a window or screens, so bugs are not stopped from entering my bedroom. It's not uncommon to see a parade of ants on my wall heading somewhere. The ants are always very small so you can't tell that there's a parade in progress unless you're near them. There are a few friendly spiders who have made my room their home. Or I have made their room my home. One hides above the door, another behind my suitcase, and the third seems to always be perched on the wall above my dresser. But I figure they're keeping other insects from being around. I haven't eaten a meal since arriving without having to swat flies away from my food. This is true whether I'm inside or outside of my house. Sometimes in the morning they are particularly obnoxious during breakfast, but they're never as bad at lunch or at night; that is probably because there are more people around at the later meal times. One corner of the couch in the living room seems to always have a fly or two around it. And this week, for some reason, a swarm of black flying insects seem to swarm around the front walk so every morning when I leave for school I have to walk through them while swatting at them with my hands. And there are the tiniest of ants that just appear out of nowhere. You can hardly see them, but you can feel them crawling on you. Frequently throughout the day I have to squash them between my fingers and flick them off of my arms or legs.

2 comments:

Todd said...

do you have a mosquito net for your bed?

Shannon said...

Yes! It's a bit of a necessity.