Thursday, November 29, 2007

Chicago - Dakar connection

Don't know if this news reached everyone... but recently a young Senegalese man who had just finished defending his doctoral thesis at the University of Chicago was murdered in Chicago. His family lives in one of the neighborhoods next to mine here, and it is big news. Everyone is morning his loss, and because people know that I'm from "near Chicago" everyone keeps asking me how dangerous of a city it is. He was helping support his family here financially, and had wanted to return to Senegal. Below are some articles from the Chicago Tribune about it... The first about the actual murder and the other attacks that day, and the second about the man and his family here in Senegal.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/chi-manshot_20nov20,0,7907219.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/printedition/tuesday/
chi-manshot_20nov20,0,7907219.story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-schmich_21nov21-column,0,2252718.column

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/
chi-schmich_21nov21-column,0,2252718.column

**I'm not sure if the long URL's will work on this, so if not, cut and paste the two separate lines to make them one complete URL in the web browser; The first two are the same, the second two are the same**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Shannon! I can't believe you live so close to Amadou Cisse's family. I just wanted to let you know that it's been such a big deal on campus here - memorial services, vigils, etc. It took us all by surprise, you know? I mean, we know that Hyde Park is dangerous (muggings, etc.) but murder is kind of an anomaly.

So let everyone in Senegal know that the University of Chicago community is thinking about them!