Friday, January 4, 2008

Weekend in Toubab Diallo

Since my classes finished last week, I decided to break out of Dakar for the weekend. I had originally thought that I would simply travel for all of this week, but there's too much I want to do and see here in Dakar in preparation for Tabaski, so I decided just to leave for the weekend. I went with two other Rotary scholars, Allen and Andrew, to Toubab Diallo. It is on the coast, outside of Dakar. It was wonderful. The town is a village with a few hostels and a couple hotels, but since it's not tourist season there was hardly anyone there except for the residents. Our little resort was lovely, and empty, which left the beach and the hammocks and lounge chairs and everything to us. And for the first time in three months... it was quiet. Allen and I laid out for quite some time, just listening to the ocean. I forgot what silence sounded like... no cars, no people, no mosques, etc. Incredible : ) It was incredibly relaxing, and I was immediately disappointed that I hadn't stumbled upon this place before and gone there more often. It was only $8 a night. And there was a wonderful restaurant across the street where an incredibly delicious sandwich was only $2. It was great. A great way to spend the weekend all my classes finished.

No comments: