This week went by so quickly! The past three days I have thought it was continuously Tuesday (that really speaks to the kind of variety I've had in my schedule this week). I was obviously wrong two of those three days. Today was, as usual, filled with classes. My morning class consisted of an hour long discussion about the 2008 U.S. presidential election. The Senegalese people generally love Bill Clinton and hate George Bush, so I heard the reasons behind that as well. I already somewhat knew, but my teacher gave me a detailed explanation. Basically, when Clinton came to visit Senegal, people turned out in the streets to see him and there was an event in the main square, Place de l'Independence, which the Senegalese turned out en masse to attend. I was told there was lots of cheering and festivities. Clinton also visited Isle de Goree and spent time with a lot of Senegalese people. Also, my professor pointed out, Chelsea Clinton has visited Dakar twice because she has a Senegalese friend. One of those times she was accompanied by her mother. When Bush came a few years ago, the airport was shut down for the 12 hours before he arrived and the duration of his 7 hour stay. All the main roads were closed so that he could travel down them. There also was an event for him at Place de l'Independence, however that day all the buildings surrounding the major square were evacuated for security reasons and security guards were placed on every balcony within sight. People were not allowed in the streets, and it sounded like only pre-approved people were allowed to attend, much like Bush's "public" appearances in the United States. Bush, too, visited Isle de Goree. The people who live on the island were told to leave before he arrived or to stay at home with the door locked. All businesses on the island were shut down during the visit, and boat transport to the island was stopped the day before the visit until after he left the Island. The Senegalese people pride themselves on hospitality, or "teranga." The way Bush's visit was handled was incredibly insulting to them. Not only that, but due to the airport, the evacuated buildings, blocked streets, and the closed businesses and transport, there was a loss of profit for many people that day, in a city where unemployment and economic hardship are widespread. There was a bit of backlash towards not only Bush, but America and Americans as a result of his visit. But, I was assured, it has calmed down quite a bit since then. Not towards Bush, but towards your average American living in or visiting Senegal.
There was a huge thunderstorm this evening. Again, like the last time, my host dad said this was the last rain of the season. I have a feeling he's going to be wrong again this time, too. I like the thunderstorms, because everyone then comes inside and hangs out in the same room together for a few hours. The rain simply pours and pours. Always after a storm, my host mom is out in the backyard, with a handheld small broom made out of thin twigs, sweeping the water from all areas of the backyard into the one in the cement. Always the day after the rains, girls and women can be seen doing the same thing to their front porches and the street in front of their houses. The water collects in all sorts of places because almost everything is covered in cement, and it's not exactly an even service, so sweeping it away is much needed.
I made contact with the organization 10,000 Girls which I'm hoping to begin working with in January. I spoke with the woman who runs the organization on the phone tonight. She's currently in the United States, but will return next Friday. She wants to set up a meeting with me as soon as she returns. The organization is located in Kaolack, which is a few hours Southeast of Dakar. The organization works with "throw away" girls and has an after school project which supports over 1000 girls, as well as in-school support for thousands more. There are 60,000 girls who start primary school in Kaolack, 200 go to secondary school, and 15 attend a university. The goal of the organization is to have 10,000 girls attend secondary school, while providing skills training to those who have already dropped out and are not supported by their families.
2 comments:
do you check your gmail? or do you still use your iwu address?
I check my gmail. All my IWU email goes to my gmail address.
Post a Comment