My travels went as planned and I am here in Senegal. I would use an exclamation point, but I cant find one anywhere on this computer. I already have two full length blog entries typed up on my laptop, but I am having trouble with the converter for it, so I cant post them yet. Instead, I am at a telecentre which happens to be located directly across from my house [I live on a very busy street, and yes, its paved]. It is unimaginably hot right now, and is consistently day and night. It is comfortable when there is a breeze, but that is about it. I dont mind though. Everyone is constantly sweaty, so it isnt just me, haha.
My host family is wonderful. They are incredibly nice. I get to eat with the kids during the day while the parents fast. The kids are trying to fast, too. They wake up at 5am for prayers and a meal, and then go back to bed. By the time I get out of my room, around 8:30, the kids are up again and have sandwiches in their hands. And they ALWAYS eat more than I do.
This city is so incredibly different than anywhere Ive been. It is a big, noisy, dirty city. There is sand everywhere, because the city is on the edge of the sahara. With half the population unemployed, there are always people sitting around outside all day not working. It is definitely a developing country. I will of course explain that more in subsequent entries.
I will hopefully post my other entries tomorrow. In the meantime, I am going to sit here and listen to the American rap music the guys a few computers down from me are using, and write some emails.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Why am i not surprised that Shannon has been in-country for all of about three days and she already has three blog entries prepared to post? Shocking!
Take care and stay away from the street food and aggressive camels!
-Patrick
there are paved roads in africa? i don't believe you.
were those guys listening to Akon?
Nope, they weren't listening to Akon. But my host siblings occasionally break out into Akon songs, although they have no idea what they're actually "singing" cause they don't speak English.
Post a Comment